POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : IRTC - Proposal for voting policies : Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC - Proposal for voting policies
From: David Buck
Date: 11 Mar 2008 10:27:40
Message: <47d6a4ec$1@news.povray.org>

> BOFH excuse 156: Zombie processes haunting David Buck
>> Again, I'll throw the question back.  If you feel that asking for
>> contact information would hold people back from registering, what do you
>> propose as an alternative?
>>
> Confirmed e-mail.
> And possibility to fill remaining data up when needed (prizes, shopping etc.)
>
>> I'm trying to address two concerns here.  First, for the purposes of
>> using the images outside the scope of the IRTC such as CD-ROMS and
>> requests from third parties, we need to be able to contact the artists.
>>   If we can't contact the artist, then we can't grant certain requests.
>>
> Sure. But there is no easy way to confirm snail mail (well, you can send me
> a postcard, of course, and wait for answer ;)
> Phone number can be easy confirmed... but this can cost a plenty.
>
>> Second, by providing better contact information, it becomes more
>> difficult (but certainly not impossible) for someone to spam the contest
>> with entries from fake identities.  It's easy to get e-mail addresses.
>>
> It's easy to take a fake 'home address'.
>
>> Someone could submit 10 images (perhaps poor quality or token
>> submissions) to 3 contests using fake e-mail addresses for each then get
>> 30 votes for the next rounds.
>>
> I can wrote 10 real 'street addresses' in no time.
> Working phone number costs me between $0 (voip) and $2.5 (gsm,voip)...
>
>> David Buck
>
> Slawek

Ok, I can make the home address and phone numbers optional and only
require an e-mail confirmation.  When you register, you will receive an
account that would allow you to update this information or remove this
information any time you like.  Changing it later shouldn't be a problem.

I will, however, include a check box (or a few options) to say that you
approve the use of this image in the IRTC CD-ROM and/or interested third
parties.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback.

David